On your quest to better health, you may have come across the supplement fish oil – a popular source of omega-3 fatty acids known for its benefits for heart health, brain function, and more. But if you take fish oil capsules, you may have noticed an unpleasant side effect: burping.
Burping is common after taking fish oil capsules because of the high omega-3 content. Omega-3 fatty acids are large and difficult to digest, so they can cause you to feel gassy and bloated.
No one wants to walk around with the taste of fish in their mouth. But luckily, there are a few things you can do to minimize the burping:
- Take your fish oil with food. This will help slow the release of omega-3 fatty acids into your system and make them easier to digest.
- Choose a lower dose. If you’re just starting out, try a lower amount of fish oil and gradually increase it as your body gets used to it.
- Try a vegan omega-3 supplement. Vegan omega-3 supplements are made from algae which are better for your health and the environment.
If you’re finding that fish oil is making you burp more than you’d like, continue reading as we look closer at the link between omega-3 and burping.
What are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids are among the most beneficial fats for your body. With its benefits for heart health, brain function, and more, it’s no wonder that omega-3s are a popular supplement.
And considering our bodies can’t produce omega-3s on their own, we have to get them from our diet. Fatty fish are often the first port of call – hence the name “fish oil” – but you can also find omega-3s in plant-based sources like flaxseeds, chia seeds, and walnuts.
Omega-3 fatty acids are made up of three main types: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). But you’ll want to focus on EPA and DHA if you’re looking for the health benefits, as these are the most well-studied.
Fish oil supplements usually contain a mix of EPA and DHA. And while they both offer health benefits, DHA is especially important for brain function because it’s a significant component of the brain.
The health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids include:
The Link Between Fish Oil And Burping
If you’ve ever taken a fish oil supplement, you may have noticed that it can sometimes cause you to burp. While this side effect is generally harmless, it can be embarrassing and unpleasant. So why does fish oil make you burp?
When you consume fish oil, your stomach must work hard to break down the fatty acids into smaller molecules. Oxidation breaks down the omega-3s into molecules called fatty acids, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream .
This process of breaking down and absorbing omega-3s can cause you to feel gassy and bloated. And because fish oil capsules are usually high in EPA and DHA, they can be particularly difficult to digest, and you may find yourself burping more often after taking them.
Also, fish oil supplements often contain added ingredients like flavorings and preservatives. These ingredients can also contribute to burping by causing irritation in your stomach or releasing gas as they are digested.
If you’re concerned about burping after taking fish oil, try taking a smaller dose or choose a supplement that doesn’t contain added ingredients, such as cheap fillers. With a little trial and error, you should be able to find a fish oil supplement that agrees with you.
3 Reasons Vegan Omega-3 Supplements Are The Way To Go
With an increasing number of people choosing to adopt a vegan lifestyle, the supplement industry has had to keep up with demand. And one of the most popular supplements among vegans is omega-3.
While fish oil used to be the only option for omega-3 supplements, there are now plant-based alternatives that are just as effective. Here are three reasons why you should consider a vegan omega-3 supplement:
- You cut out the ‘middle fish’. Plant-based omega-3 supplements are made from algae, the original source of omega-3s. Fish get their omega-3s by eating algae, so by taking a plant-based supplement, you cut out the middle fish and get your omega-3s straight from the source.
- They’re environmentally friendly. Fish oil supplements usually come from wild-caught fish, which can strain fish populations. Vegan omega-3 supplements are made from sustainably sourced algae, so you can be sure you’re not harming the environment when you take them.
- They’re suitable for people with fish allergies. If you’re allergic to fish or simply don’t like the taste, vegan omega-3 supplements are a great alternative. You can get all the benefits of omega-3 without having to eat fish.
If you’re looking for a plant-based omega-3 supplement, make sure it contains both EPA and DHA. These are the two most important types of omega-3s, and you’ll need to take them in equal amounts to get the full benefits.
Fish oil supplements can offer some health benefits. But they can also cause side effects like burping and bloating. That’s what makes plant-based omega-3 supplements a great alternative. You can get all the benefits of omega-3 without any of the drawbacks. So why not give them a try?
Concluding Thoughts: Why Does Fish Oil Make You Burp?
Having a fishy taste in your mouth and burping after taking a fish oil supplement is hardly anyone’s idea of fun. But fortunately, there are things you can do to minimize the side effect.
Start by taking a smaller dose of fish oil or choosing a supplement that doesn’t contain any added ingredients. You might also want to try a vegan omega-3 supplement, as these are often easier to digest.
With a little trial and error, you should be able to find an omega-3 supplement that allows you to get the health benefits without having to deal with side effects such as burping.